The city of Miami is one of the most popular tourist destinatons in the entire United States. Behind New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago, the city ranks as the fourth most populous urban area in America. The city is the closest major city to the island nation of Cuba and is home to a great many immigrants who have made their way from the island. The port of Miami is very busy with many popular vacation cruises departing from it regularly and heading towards the island paradises of the Caribbean Sea. Miami has a rich history with many important things happening in the area, especially around the time of early European settlement. Here are five things you may not know about the city of Miami, Florida.
1. Julia Tuttle, a very well off citrus grower originally from Cleveland, Ohio is credited as the founder of the city of Miami. This makes the city of Miami the only major city in the United States that was founded by a woman.
2. While the tallest building in most major cities are office complexes, the tallest building in the city of Miami is the Four Seasons Hotel & Tower which measures in at 789 feet tall. This also makes it the tallest building in the entire state of Florida.
3. Though it is highly populated, Miami has the smallest land area of any major city in the United States.
4. One of the physical features that adds to the beauty of the city of Miami is that it does not suffer from urban sprawl the way most cities do. The main reason for this is that Miami is the only major city in the USA that is bordered by two different National Parks. Everglades National Park borders Miami on the west border of the city while Biscayne National Park borders it on the east border.
5. The first year of professional football in the city of Miami was 1946 when the city had a team in the short lived All American Football Conference called the Miami Seahawks. The Seahawks would only play one season in Miami, going 3-11, before being purchased by an ownership group in Baltimore and being moved to that city and renamed the Colts. This Baltimore Colts team soon went out of business and is not the same franchise that would eventually show up a few years later under the same name.
A visit to the Miami, Florida area is a visit that most people will remember for the rest of their lives. The city has many strong cultural influences that show up in its cultural celebrations, fashion and eating establishments. There are few areas of the United States that are hotter in terms of real estate and night life than the Miami, Florida area. One visit to the area shows most people exactly why Miami is at or near the top of the list of wealthy travelers from around the world. The city has the unique ability to offer an incredible time to almost anybody regardless of their interests and background.