Written by Mark Peters in Celebrities
Viewed by 164 readers since 11-17-2008
Regis Philbin broke into national television during the early 1960’s and hasn’t left the scene at any time since then. Whether on local morning programs, his nationally syndicated talk show, or primetime game shows, Philbin has proven his remarkable staying power. Because of his witty gift of gab, Regis Philbin is also a frequent guest on a large number of other talk shows including The View, Late Show with David Letterman, and more. There is a great deal of information, professional and personal alike, that is known about one of the most prolific television stars ever, but here are five things you may not know about Regis Philbin.
1. Most famous for hosting the Live! talk show with Kathie Lee Gifford and then Kelly Ripa, Philbin has also hosted talk shows with other famous women. In the mid 1970’s he hosted A.M. Los Angeles with one of the future hosts of Real People and The Home Show, Sarah Purcell and later with the wife of baseball player Steve Garvey, Cyndy Garvey. Philbin also hosted a shortlived morning variety show for NBC in 1981 with Mary Hart who would go on to be the longtime anchor of Entertainment Tonight.
2. Regis Philbin’s unique first name was taken from a Manhattan Jesuit private school near where he grew up, Regis High School.
3. During Hulk Hogan’s main event WrestleMania VII match against Sgt. Slaughter, held in Los Angeles in 1991, Regis Philbin was a special celebrity guest commentator.
4. Regis Philbin is in the Guinness Book of World Records, holding the record for “Most Hours on Camera”.
5. Regis Philbin is one of the more famous and outspoken alumni of Notre Dame University, he graduated from there in 1953 with a degree in Sociology.
Regis Philbin is destined to go down in television history as not only one of the most recognizable personalities, but one of the most loved as well. Through his ability, some might say habit, of talking about his personal life during his broadcasts, he has allowed viewers to establish personal relationships and bonds with him. These strong feelings have enabled Philbin to be loved by millions of television viewers every where.