Through the ages man has been using herbs for all types of ailments, especially the enhancement of memory. The Ayurveda family of herbs has the largest group of herbs that are used for the enhancement of memory all over the world. Here are a few of them:
1. Brahmi – It is certified that this herb contains several different chemicals that help promote protein synthesis in the brain and nerve cells. Protein synthesis is needed for good memory. This herb can help make a person think more clearly, which in turn makes the memory more vivid. Brahmi also helps people to assimilate and understand information easier. In adults this herb relaxes and soothes the cells of the brain and can bring it back to a more normal functioning state. Brahmi is a valuable anti-depressant and anti-anxiety agent.
2. Gingko – This herb improves circulation of the blood that supplies the central nervous system. Circulation of blood to the brain is a must for a healthy and capable brain. Gingko also repairs any damage done to cells in different parts of the body, including the brain. Gingko also affects the clotting of blood. Gingko extract is prescribed amnesia patients and those who have Alzheimer’s.
3. Gotu Kola – Is another herb that helps improve circulation of the blood to the brain, as well as other parts of the body. It also protects the brain from damage caused by the wear and tear of its cells. This herb can restore a person’s energy and make them feel more energetic in the future. It also improves concentration and enhances memory.
4. Ashwagandha – This herb is an adaptogen, stress reliever, and re-vitalizer. It actually has a cooling and calming effect on the brain. The direct result of this herb is that it increases the capacity for memory by the brain. This is a main component is most “brain tonics”.
5. Mulethi – Believe it or not, it’s licorice. Mulethi rejuvenates the brain. In times of stress, Mulethi has a calming effect on the brain and relaxes the person. It also helps with better blood circulation and helps maintain sugar levels in the blood.
6. Vacha – This is a very vigorous herb because the effect of it is very rapid. It increases overall memory and also strengthens the nervous system. This is another herb that is prescribed for those with amnesia.
7. Ginger – It improves over all memory. Also it helps to supply nutrients to the brain.
8. Ginseng – Helps to improve memory, increases attention span and even helps with motor coordination. Reduces fatigue and improves stamina.
9. Hawthorne – Strengthens the capillaries and provides antioxidant protection for tissues. Increases the oxygen supply to the brain and helps the heart output.
For a long time now, mankind has known and understood the medicinal powers of a variety of herbs. Through time they have become home remedies and as of late, doctors and scientists have acknowledged that some herbs do appear to have medical properties and use them more and more in their treatment plans for their patients.