- By Black Stallion
- Published 07/25/2012
- Tools and Resources
Most of the companies these days perform criminal background before hiring someone. Conducting background check has become an integral part of a hiring process. Each state has its own rules and regulations that a company needs to follow while conducting such checks. There are many private companies that specialize in criminal background check. Government agencies also conduct background checks. The private agencies are undoubtedly more expensive. However, appointing a private agency is a better option since they will devote enough time to investigate about the person you are going to appoint.
Let’s have a look at how to conduct criminal background check.
- Before you conduct background check of a candidate you will have to take his or her consent. You should obtain written consent from that person. Otherwise the background check will be considered illegal.
- Decide whether you want to conduct the check yourself or appoint background check companies. Appointing a company is a better option since they specialize in this field. They can handle the task better than you.
- If you choose the later option, you will have to provide the name, date of birth, address and social security number of the candidate you want to be searched.
- You should indicate the scope of the search. You will have to tell the private agency which criminal database you want the search to be conducted on. You may ask them to conduct the search on the state database or on the FBI’s database that is known as the National Crime Information Center. You can also ask them to conduct the search on both the database.
- Ask the agency about the fee. Complete filling up the request form. Before submitting the form, make sure you have filled it following the instructions given there. The private agency you hire may ask you to mail the form in a stamped and self-addressed envelope. You will have to send a check along with the form.
- You must also indicate how you would like the result to be delivered. Tell them whether you want them to send a mail or an email.
- If you want to go for a government agency instead of a private one, make sure you use the right form. The government offers different types of forms for licensing groups, nonprofit organization and individuals.
- You can visit the website of the government agency and download the criminal background check form from the website. You can take a print out of the form, fill it up and then mail it.
Background checks on people can be a tough job and you should not give it a try yourself. Counting on a reputed agency is the best option to go for.
James Anderson is a background check expert and he has several blogs dedicated to topics like background checks on people, criminal background check and so on. For more information on related topics he suggests you to visit http://www.nowcheckingu.com/.
by Black Stallion