Authored by Dave Mallisk in Gadgets
Published on 11-25-2009
Recycling your old iPod is socially commendable. To reduce waste and protect our environment, we should recycle all manufactured items, including our old electronic equipment. The U.S. EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) refers to ‘recycling electronic equipment’ as eCycling (a contraction of ‘electronics recycling’). For more information, see EPA eCycling.
After you delete any personal data from your old iPod, you can recycle it through Apple or through almost any organization that lets you recycle small electronic devices.
Deleting Your Personal Data
You need to protect yourself against identity theft. If your iPod contains more than music, you need to delete all personal data from your iPod before you recycle it. Most recycling organizations attempt to erase all data while recycling iPods. However, all recyclers state (in their terms and conditions) that they are not responsible for safeguarding any data that you have not deleted from your iPod.
Recycling Your iPod Through Apple
You can recycle your iPod either by mailing it to Apple or taking it to an Apple retail store.
Recycling Your iPod by Mailing it to Apple – To recycle your iPod by mailing to Apple, do the following:
- Go to the Apple Recycling Program website.
- Click on iPod and Mobile Phones to display its “iPod and Mobile Phone Reclycling” page.
- In item 1, indicate how many iPods you are recycling.
- In item 2, enter your name, postal address, and email address.
- In item 3, select your shipping option, either a Prepaid Printable Label or a Prepaid Mailer.
- Click on the Continue button to receive more instructions.
Recycling at an Apple Retail Store – Use the Apple Retail Store Locator to see whether you live close to an Apple retail store. If you do live close to an Apple retail store, you can recycle your iPod there and receive a 10% discount on a new iPod.
Recycling Your iPod Through the United Way
You can recycle your iPod to through the United Way by donating it to them. To donate your iPod to the United Way, do the following:
- Go to the Recycle for United Way website.
- Enter your ZIP code and email address.
- Click on the DONATE NOW button to print a free shipping label and receive more instructions.
Recycling Your iPod Through Recycle for Breast Cancer
You can recycle your iPod to through Recycle for Breast Cancer by donating it to them. To donate your iPod to Recycle for Breast Cancer, do the following:
- Go to the Recycle for Breast Cancer website.
- Enter your name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Provide information about which iPod you are donating.
- Click on the Submit Form button send your information. Recycle for Breast Cancer will send you email containing more instructions.