First of all, let us define the term ‘natural makeup’. The ingredients in natural makeup are derived from organically grown herbs, fruits and vegetables and not tested on animals. Even the honey in natural makeup comes from organically grown flowers. These cosmetics don’t contain chemicals or artificial colors.
Natural makeup has to be refrigerated as it does not contain preservatives. Women who use these cosmetics on a regular basis find that they have less problems with skin afflictions such as acne.
How to Get the Natural Look with Natural Makeup
Looking naturally beautiful even when you have makeup on is an art. Here are some tips for using natural makeup to enhance your features.
You need to choose makeup that is close to your skin color. Experts suggest you wait a couple of minutes between each application. For instance, there should a short interval between the application of moisturizer and sunscreen. This makes natural makeup last longer. And oh yes, skip the blusher unless you’re really pale. In case you use blusher, pick a subtle shade. Smile and brush across the apple of your cheeks. If you must hide blemishes, use concealer instead of extra foundation to avoid a caked-up look.
You Will Need
- Water-based light moisturiser
- Colourless gloss or one close to the colour of your lips
- A light water-based foundation
- Mineral powder
- Black or brown eyeliner (brown is better for daytime)
- Eyeshadow just a little darker than your skin
- Brown or black mascara
After cleaning and toning your face, apply the moisturiser with sunscreen to your face and neck. If you prefer to use sunscreen and moisturiser separately (that’s if you need better sun protection), apply the moisturiser first. Wait a couple of minutes, and then apply sunscreen.
- Dab your forehead, chin, cheeks and nose, as well as your neck with little dots of foundation. Spread the foundation over your face with your fingers. The heat from your fingers will help to blend the foundation into your skin. Make sure you cover your neck, ears and hairline.
- Let the foundation settle for 3-5 minutes before applying the powder. Don’t use too much or you will look made up. Check in natural light for unevenness or heaviness.
- Brush the eyeshadow onto your eyelids. Then, using a lighter shade of eyeshadow, cover the area from the eyelid crease to just below your eyebrows. Make sure you blend one colour into the other well so that there are no strong lines between eyelid crease and the area above it. Lightly brush off any excess with a makeup brush.
- With the eyeliner, draw a thin line across your upper lash line. Don’t line the lower lash line as this will give you a made up look.
- To widen and brighten your eyes, you can line your lower lash line with a white pencil.
- Next apply your mascara to upper and lower lashes. Your mascara should not make your lashes look all clumped up.
- Finally, slide on the lip gloss with a light touch. Don’t overdo it.
Once you’ve completed your natural makeup look – foundation, powder,eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara and lip gloss, check your face in natural light. You don’t want to look made up. Then relax and enjoy your day secure in the knowledge that you’re wearing makeup that’s gentle on your skin.