The word ‘photography’ is a combination of two Greek words: ‘photo’ means ‘light’ and ‘graph’ means ‘drawing’, i.e. ‘photography’ can be described as “Drawing with light” . This particular word is coined by Sir John Herschel on March 14, 1839, in an oration before the Royal Society of London. Now a day, it has become a powerful medium of communication and a mode of visual expression that speaks so much unspoken words and hidden words in the world.
Today photography is acknowledged as a fine art and some of the different types of photography can be chosen as a fantastic career option. The subjects may be based on fashion, advertising, wedding , nature, travel, portrait and so on.
Wedding photography is a specialized branch of this art form. It is devoted to taking different snaps on very special moments in life. It involves photographs of the couple before marriage as well as coverage of the wedding and reception. Now it has become a part of a major commercial venture that supports the efforts of many independent photographers as well as photography studios.
There are different approaches to wedding photography that are categorized today. These are as follows:
1) Photojournalist Approach: The photographer takes snaps spontaneously during a wedding using on-camera flash or available light rather than using formal posing techniques and studio lights.
2) Traditional Approach : In this type of wedding photography style, the people are posed and looking toward the camera for a formal color photo and it is controlled and directed by the photographer according to the lights, positions etc.
3) Fashion Based Approach : For fashion based wedding photography, the photographer will combine the images of the events of the day with posed images which is inspired by editorial fashion photography. This style involves more dramatic and innovative post – procession of images.
4) Wedding studio photography : This style is popular in Asian countries, especially in China. For this type, couples book a studio or make an appointment with the studio for either in-studio or location shoot. This style has been very popular now a day.
5) Contemporary wedding photography : This is not a traditional nature of wedding photograph. It is emphasized to capture the atmosphere and story from the day rather than a series of pre-determined poses. It also involves the use of lighting, composition and timing take photos and has a strong visual appeal.
Now, it varies from man to man to choose the style to make their wedding moments memorable. But, now a day the most popular approaches are traditional and photojournalist approach. It totally depends on the organizer of the marriage ceremony how the photographer will shoot the wedding photos. But, it is true that not many photographers are good at all styles. Each style of wedding photography needs different skill-sets and a continuous learning process. The experiences play the key role in this matter. So it needs to be specialized in one style and frame all the special moments in a wedding ceremony with a professional touch and care.
Russle Brwon is an experienced consultant on photography. To know more about photography or wedding photography, please, visit http://dezirestudios.com/ .