U.S. News and World Report is one of the most prestigious and reliable sources you can turn to when you are looking for information on colleges in America. If you are looking to enter a career in the competitive field of Pharmacy, there are many excellent programs at universities all over the country. Like the field of Pharmacy itself, the college programs that offer this course of study compete with each other to be the most prestigious in the country. The most recent U.S. News and World report ranked the top colleges for Pharmacy in 2008. There is a four-way-tie for 5th place, so this list of the top 5 schools will actually contain 8 colleges! According to their most recent list, the top five Pharmacy Colleges in America are:
1. University of California-San Francisco, CA. This program deserves to be best in the country. The faculty are all respected names in the industry, and the University recently partnered with the Chinese in order to help them create more viable and acceptable pharmaceuticals.
2. University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill, NC. A prestigious college that is often difficult to get in to. It is said that up to 80% of available spots at the university are reserved for in-state students.
3. University of Minnesota- Minneapolis, MN. Another great program in a great city. Minneapolis has really become cosmopolitan in the last decade. There are great restaurants and lots of natural beauty to be found just outside the city. Minneapolis also features the most theaters per square mile outside of New York City. St. Paul, the other half of the twin cities, is known for being a bit less flashy, and much less expensive to live in. As long as you don’t mind the winter weather, this could be a great city for you to live in while you earn your degree.
4. University of Texas- Austin, TX. This might be the college for you if you’re looking for a little fame to go along with your new career. UT graduate student Milli Reddy visited NBC’s The Today Show on Friday, February 13, to discuss a plan to improve quality of life for AIDS and HIV patients in South Africa.
5. Ohio State University- Columbus, OH. The Buckeye State may be the perfect fit for you. In addition to a great Pharmacy program, you can also cheer on the school’s great athletics!
6. University of Kentucky- Lexington, KY. This may seem like a strange addition to this list, but they have a great program. In addition, the natural beauty of Kentucky is outstanding.
7. University of Michigan- Ann Arbor, MI. The University has just purchased a formed Pfizer research and development facility, which is great news for current and prospective students.
8. University of Washington- Seattle, WA. If community service is important to you, this program may be the best fit. A group of eight Pharm.D. students at this school recently received one of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy’s first-ever Student Community Engaged Service Awards. The award recognizes student-led community outreach projects that encourage service learning.
You can view the complete listing of Pharmacy programs at http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/pha/search/
If finances or family obligations make it difficult for you to consider going to school full-time, there is also the option to enroll in an online pharmacy program. Depending on what aspect of Pharmacy you find most appealing, you may find a great fit through online programs like the University of Phoenix, the University of Florida, Kaplan University or Baker College.