Authored by Nickie Fleming in Marriage
Published on 03-10-2009
Imo, the reason why people don’t marry is that they greatly enjoy being on their own. They have a life that is fulfilled and they are happy leading it alone.
Of course, I can quote some other reasons too.
- Just consider what you could do with the money you spare on a wedding dress. You could easily use it for some good cause, like giving money to UNICEF to feed starving children, or help out people in need.
- The diamond ring on your finger is the product of bloodshed in the diamond mines of Africa.
- The weeks, months, even years that you spent planning the entire wedding may be over in less than 8 hours!
- Instead of a down payment on a house or flat, you’ll have a down payment on a wedding dress.
- Creating a gift registry makes you a greedy, needy and spoiled brat in the eyes of friends and relatives.
- No matter how beautifully your hair was done, it will look like you came out of a cove by the time for the reception.
- You have the couch all for yourself.
- You can get home from work whenever you like.
- Without a wife you can still have a decent social life.
- You can throw your dirty socks on the floor, where they belong.
- You need no excuse to leave the bed unmade.
- You don’t have to worry how the bathroom will smell after you used it.
- There’s half as much housework, cooking and cleaning to do.
- You can watch a soap opera or sports show without hassle.
- You don’t catch every bug, cold or flu that the husband or wife brings into the house.
- Nobody will see how you look in the morning.
- There are fewer birthdays and no anniversaries to remember.
- You can lie in bed as long as you like.
- You don’t have to live halfway between your workplace and that of your husband or wife.
- Love at first sight seems like a romantic reason for marriage, but it’s not a good predictor of marital success. Such feelings alone provide a weak foundation for a long-lasting relationship.
And to end, some nice quotes from various sources:
- Don’t marry for money; you can borrow it cheaper – Scottish proverb
- Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be happier than others – Oscar Wilde
- Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn’t, they’d be married too – H.L. Menken
- Marriage is a three-ring circus: engagement ring – wedding ring – suffering – Anonymous
- Before marriage, a man yearns for the woman he loves. After some years, the ‘y’ in yearns disappears – Anonymous
- It’s not true that married men live longer than single men. It only seems longer – Anonymous
- When a man is single, he’s incomplete. When he marries, he’s finished – Anonymous